Owls in Jericho, and north of here, are going to have a very hard time in the coming days. The ice crust over the snow is so thick and hard that I can't even break it with the sharp edge of a shovel. There's no way the owls can get at subnivean voles and moles. It's possible that nocturnal owls might resort to hunting squirrels in broad daylight, but I'm afraid that many will die.

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center