One lone Red-winged Blackbird (young male) is still coming daily to my feeders. This is the latest in all the years I've been keeping records.

Also - There's a Hairy Woodpecker around who started drumming last January, drummed many times every day through June, and started up again a few weeks ago. I'm assuming it's the same individual because I never heard drumming this frequently in mid-winter until last year. I've always understood drumming was part of courtship. (Cornell Lab says, "Since woodpeckers do not have a song as do passerine birds, drumming may serve as a territorial signal similar to bird song and it may also serve to attract a mate.)

It really doesn't sound like food-hunting. The drumming is in bursts that last 5 or 6 seconds; then there will be a minute or more pause, and then another burst of fast rhythmic drumming. - So do Hairies court most of the year? Or do I have an idiosyncratic bird who just likes making noise?

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center