Great day to be out birding in Addison County!

Below is my checklist from the Champlain Bridge this afternoon. It includes photos and species comments for several of the birds.

From the Lake I headed west on Rt. 17, picked up a Snowy Owl and American Kestrel just past the West Addison General Store, and made my way to Sunset View Cemetery south of Vergennes on Maple Street. On the way I watched 350 Snow Geese sail north over downtown Vergennes.

I was looking for a small sparrow that had eluded me during the Ferrisburgh CBC yesterday (my two-second guess on Saturday was Field Sparrow)...but sadly I never found it again.

However, just as I was about to give up around 4 pm, I took a quick scan of the many large fields visible to the west. Almost immediately I found "raptors"---they came in quick succession in the following order:

Short-eared Owl--1, maybe more. Hunting fields near Otter Creek
Northern Harrier--1
Snowy Owl--1, a very distant, dark bird
Merlin--1, possibly a Count Period bird for the Ferrisburgh CBC!
Red-tailed Hawk--The only raptor species we saw in our sector during yesterday's count

Pictures and complete lists:

Fun, fun
Spencer Hardy
Norwich/Middlebury VT

Champlain Bridge / Chimney Point, Addison, US-VT
Dec 15, 2013 1:15 PM - 2:05 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     From bridge, frozen solid to the south
21 species

Canada Goose  300
American Black Duck  75
Mallard  350
Ring-necked Duck  1     With Scaup, near Tufted, flanks gray in comparison.
Tufted Duck  1     ***Very Rare.
Greater Scaup  125
Lesser Scaup  375
Long-tailed Duck  1
Common Goldeneye  1000     115 in a close lead, many, many more in new york waters and in flight
Common Merganser  10
Red-breasted Merganser  1
Red-tailed Hawk  2
American Coot  1
Ring-billed Gull  15
Herring Gull  5
Great Black-backed Gull  6
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1     *Late, but not uncommon this winter! 3rd one this weekend.
American Crow  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1     *Late. Flew in from south and landed briefly at eye level in Norway Spruce right near bridge.
Beautiful male in white and green tree!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61161297@N08/11395236704/in/photostream/
American Tree Sparrow  2
American Goldfinch  1