Hi VTBirders,

A Snowy Owl was reported by Dick Mansfield near Berlin Airport, in a big
field just east of the airport.  It was best seen looking north from the
parking lot of the Gifford Health Center, off Airport Road.  Thanks to
Dick's lead, a few folks from North Branch Nature Center were able to
observe the bird, which was still there as of 11 a.m.

It spent a lot of time in the field, where it was very difficult to see at
times (maybe impossible, if not for the crows mobbing it).  Based on
comparison of facial markings, this is likely the same Snowy Owl reported
in the area a few weeks ago and featured on the cover of the Times Argus
(image available, courtesy of Jeb Wallace-Brodeur of the Times Argus at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152041198639070&set=a.380004734069.156383.127542174069&type=1&theater
)

Good luck to anyone else who tries for it!
 - Larry

--
Larry Clarfeld
Environmental Educator

*Upcoming Programs *

*Lake Champlain Birding*
Saturday, January 18, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Fee: $20 members , $25 nonmembers
Come explore the wetlands, fields and water bodies of the Champlain Valley
for waterfowl and winter birds. We’ll seek out Rough-legged Hawks, winter
waterfowl, Snow Buntings and Lapland Longspurs, Short-eared Owls, and more.

*Superbowl of Birding XI*

* (Youth & Teen Event) January 24-25, 2014 Fee: TBD *Winter’s premier
birding competition is back!  In the past five year’s, NBNC’s youth and
young adult teams have tallied 92 species, including gems like King Eider,
Razorbill, and Snowy Owl.  You can check out our trip report from 2013 or
2012 for more about the birds we see. For any interested teens, let us know
early if you’re interested in joining the team!

*Vermont's Bird Atlas: A Story from 56,000 Observations*
Friday, January 31, 7:00 p.m.
at the Unitarian Church of Montpelier
Fee: $5 suggested donation
Over 300 Vermonters traversed fields and forests, marshes and mountains to
collect data for the Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas. *Rosalind Renfrew* will
share results from the state's largest inventory of bird life, with a focus
on changes in Vermont's bird communities during the last 30 years.

*Spring Birding in Cape May, NJ*

* May 8-12, 2014 Fee: $585 members; $635 nonmembers *For over a decade,
NBNC has brought groups of teens and young adults to Cape May for the World
Series of Birding.  Now, for the first time, we’re offering a trip for
adults at a more leisurely pace.  We’ll lodge in a cabin in the heart of
Belleplain State Forest, where Summer Tanagers and Yellow-throated Warblers
will replace our alarm clocks.  Cape May is spring birding at it’s best…
please let us know if you are interested!