Barb Powers and I birded a 36 mile area from Addison 4-corners, West on RT 17, North on Jersey St., out to Goodrich Corner, back to WAGS, Townline, and Norton Rd.  We didn't pick up the Snow Buntings until going home south on RT 22A between Orwell and Benson.  What a frenzy.  The Buntings reminded me of a school of fish, perfectly synchronized, moving as a single unit. Then they flew back and forth across the highway, lighting on the road's edge with cars zipping by, quickly lifting off three seconds later into the fields. WE choked each time. Barb pulled into a very conveniently located dirt road from where we watched the "snow show" for 15 minutes.  Lovely finale to our day.

Location
Edit Location
Addison, Addison County, Vermont, US ( Map )
Date and Effort
Edit Date and Effort
Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:30 PM
Protocol:
Traveling
Party Size:
2
Duration:
4 hour(s)
Distance:
36.0 mile(s)
Observers:
martha pfeiffer & Barb Powers
Comments:
Temp 35 degrees, overcast, wind gusting to 15 mph
Species
Edit Species List
17 species total
25Wild Turkey
2Red-tailed Hawk
8Rough-legged Hawk
XRock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
52Mourning Dove
45 in one single flock on farmland near road at Goodrich Corner farm in Addison
2Snowy Owl
One on townline Rd near RT 125, 2nd one northeast of West Addison Store on RT 17, Addison
2American Kestrel
Ech hanging around a farm
16American Crow
9Horned Lark
On manure pile at a farm on Norton Rd
2Black-capped Chickadee
7American Robin
AT DAR State Park
XEuropean Starling
150Snow Bunting
counting in tens - on shoulder of RT 22A near Orwell, on highway, fleeting back to pasture, back & forth
2American Tree Sparrow
2Dark-eyed Junco
1American Goldfinch
1House Sparrow
Edit Species List

Edit Answer
Are you submitting a complete checklist of the birds you were able to identify?
Yes
Martha Pfeiffer
Dorset, VT