It is my understanding that Google translator isn't accepted as a form of translation.  Our hospital is starting to use a product called MARTII - it connects rather like Skype with a centralized translation service.  It can be on cows or on fixed computer screens.
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Rachel Helbing [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 6:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Ref: translation in hospitals

Good afternoon,
I have a patron who would like some information on what other hospitals are using for verbal translation when helping patients who do not speak English. He is looking into the possibility of using tablets with Google, Skype, or some other kind of translation software.
Are any other hospitals doing this? If so, which software are you using and how well does it work?
Is there any other method that has been successful?

Thanks,

Rachel Helbing, MLIS, AHIP
Medical Librarian
Kalispell Regional Medical Center
310 Sunnyview Lane, Kalispell MT 59901
406-752-1739
MTUKRH
This message originates from an operating entity of Center of Special Care, Inc. The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential. If you are the intended recipient you must maintain this message in a secure and confidential manner. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message. Thank you.