Esteemed Colleagues,

Please pardon the cross-posting.

I am trying to gather various measures that have been used to assist in decision-making regarding discontinuation of individual E-Journal titles. Somewhere in my head I had a >$30/use or <30 uses/year figure but I can't verify how I came up with that. Looking through a few resources, I came across the following:

1.  Shearer BS, Klatt C, Nagy SP. Development of a new academic digital library: a study of usage data of a core medical electronic journal collection. J Med Libr Assoc. 2009 Apr;97(2):93-101. doi: 10.3163/1536-5050.97.2.005. PubMed PMID:
19404499; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2670205.

"...each library must develop its own set of criteria on which to base selection and retention decisions."(p. 100)

2.  Bloom, M., & Marks, L. (2013). Growing Opportunities in the Hospital Library: Measuring the Collection Needs of Hospital Clinicians. Journal Of Hospital Librarianship, 13(2), 113-119. doi:10.1080/15323269.2013.770658

"Any <journal> title that had been accessed less than 10 times in a year was deemed eligible for cancellation." (p. 116)

3.  Prottsman MF. "Financial Management" In: Bandy, M. M., Dudden, R.F., eds. The Medical Library Association Guide to Managing Health Care Libraries 2nd ed., 2011. p. 65

Fig. 4.1 Interlibrary Loan Cost-Benefit Analysis: "Commercial costs (i.e. for PPV) are estimated at $25.00 each."

4.  Perhaps "the best" is this from http://nnlm.gov/mcr/evaluation/calculator.html except that at that URL, the figure for "E-journal articles accessed" is given as $45, whereas if you click the "E-Journal articles" link it takes you to:

E-journal

$35.00

Estimated cost to purchase a single article from an ejournal vendor

Vendors provide use statistics for e-journals. As for print journals decide what that use represents. If it's hits on Tables of Contents, or hits per issue, that could represent, on average, one article read per hit. If the vendor supplies article level stats you can use that. You may need to adjust different vendor stats so the common denominator is articles read

Does anyone have anything more, or more authoritative, to add?

I value your input!
TIA
Jo-Anne Aspri, MLS | LIBRARY | Kent Hospital | 455 Toll Gate Road | Warwick, RI 02886  | 401.737.7010 x31309 | jaspri AT kentri.org