Dear Municipal Clerks,

I am happy to announce the VLCT “Big Book of Woof” is available for download at: http://www.vlct.org/assets/Resource/Handbooks/Big_Book_of_Woof.pdf

This handbook is meant to serve as a resource and instruction manual for Vermont municipal officials - selectboards, town clerks, animal control officers, town health officers, constables, and the town attorney - involved in dog matters.  We appreciate your patience and invite you to contact us if you have suggestions for improvements or additional material that you feel should be included in this handbook.  We will also be in touch with you in the near future when hard copies of this publication are available for purchase.

Finally, I wanted to bring to your attention a two edits to our 2013 Municipal Dog and Wolf-Hybrid Licenses and Fees poster.

The first was to simply remove the heading of “special licenses” on the poster and include it as a parenthetical next to the "breeding license."  This was done because it is only the license for breeding purposes that is referred to as a “special” license in State law.

The second concerns the working farm dog license.  The 2013 poster incorrectly stated that “A person may get a working farm dog license…”  That sentence has been changed to read “A person who owns a working farm dog and intends to use it on a farm pursuant to 20 V.S.A. § 3549 must get a working farm dog license…”  This change reflects the fact that this license is mandatory rather than voluntary.  These corrections are included in Appendix I of the “Big Book of Woof.”

My apologies for the oversight on the VLCT Municipal Dog and Wolf-Hybrid Licenses and Fees poster.  We will announce when new posters (dated January 2014) are available.  You can place an order now for new poster through our online bookstore at http://www.vlct.org/marketplace/bookstore/.  In the meantime, please feel free to use the corrected poster found in Appendix I of the "Big Book of Woof."

NOTE - if you ordered a poster last year, we will send you new one for free.

Sincerely,

Garrett A. Baxter

Garrett A. Baxter, Esq.

Senior Staff Attorney, Municipal Assistance Center

Vermont League of Cities and Towns

1-800-649-7915

The information contained in this transmission may contain privileged and confidential information.  It is intended only for the use of the person(s) to whom it  is addressed above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication is  prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email or telephone and destroy all copies of the original message.  Thank you.