Sharon –

If there are any clerks out there with an answer to this question, I hope they will post it on Muninet for the benefit of the rest of us who have the same problem.  We are frustrated with the lack of guidance at the state level on licensing.

For years – prior to my arrival – the Clerk issued a ‘special’ license to a resident who has sled dogs and to two residents who ‘just have a lot of dogs’ and have them in an enclosure.  I continued this practice, but both my assistant and I can frankly not figure out how they qualify, given the description of what a special license is for.  I just don’t know how to tell them that they have to pay full price – but the law never changed!  We still have the sled dogs owner and our other ‘special’ license person has a lot of dogs – mostly those she has taken in as a registered rescue person, but then either never found a home or decided to just keep the dogs.

I attended the workshop sponsored by VLCT and have the “Big Book of Woof” but still do not see where these people were ever entitled to a ‘special’ license.

Good luck!

Doreen

Doreen Woodward

Town Clerk/Treasurer