I haven’t looked to see if the law has changed at this time, but we print this out and refer to it when someone wants either a Special License and/or Kennel Permit. We also have the owner sign a separate sheet that we prepare that states they adhere to the following before issuing the Special License.

SPECIAL LICENSE

3583. Domestic pets and wolf-hybrids kept for breeding purposes ---

(a) The owner or keeper of domestic pets and wolf-hybrids kept for breeding purposes may take out annually, on or before April 1, a special license for the domestic pets or wolf-hybrids, provided:

(1) He or she keeps the domestic pets or wolf-hybrids within a proper enclosure. A proper enclosure is a locked fence or structure of sufficient height and sufficient depth into the ground to prevent the entry of young children and to prevent the animal from escaping. A proper enclosure also provides humane shelter for the animal.

(2) The domestic pets or wolf-hybrids at all times have a current vaccination against rabies.

(3) When the number of domestic pets or wolf-hybrids so kept does not exceed ten, the fee shall be $30.00 and for each additional domestic pet or wolf-hybrid so kept, an annual fee of $3.00.

(b) Domestic pets and wolf-hybrids covered by the special license hereunder shall be exempt from other license fees, and all licenses under this section are exempt from the surcharge enacted under subsection (c) of section 3581 of this title.

(c) If the license fee is not paid by April 1, the owner or keeper may thereafter procure a license for that license year by paying a fee of fifty percent in excess of that otherwise required. These license fees are in addition to any fees required for the operation of a kennel under subchapter 3 of this chapter.

KENNEL PERMIT

 3681. Permit

The owner or keeper of two or more domestic pets or wolf-hybrids four months of age or older kept for sale or for breeding purposes, except for his or her own use, shall apply to the municipal clerk of the town or city in which the domestic pets or wolf-hybrids are kept for a kennel permit to be issued on forms prescribed by the commissioner and pay the clerk a fee of $10.00 for the same. The provisions of subchapters 1, 2, and 4 of this chapter not inconsistent with this subchapter, shall apply to the permit which shall be in addition to other permits required. A kennel permit shall expire on March 31 next after issuance, and shall be displayed prominently on the premises on which the domestic pets or wolf-hybrids are kept. If the permit fee is not paid by April 1, the owner or keeper may thereafter procure a permit for that license year by paying a fee of fifty percent in excess of that otherwise required. Municipal clerks shall maintain a record of the type of animals being kept by the permit holder.

Happy New Year…..

Paulette