From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mary Ann Wilson
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Abate school taxes

I have an abatement hearing tonight of 2 properties destroyed by fire.  How many of you have split out the taxes: municipal and education, and voted on each?  I cannot find anything that says we may or may not specifically abate education taxes. I know of one town that did not vote to abate education taxes, and I know of another one that has done it both ways.  Title 24, 1535 states, "The board may abate in whole or part taxes...accruing to the town..."  Do towns have the authority to abate education taxes?  Thanks for your responses!

Mary Ann Wilson

Town Clerk and Treasurer
Town of Morristown
43 Portland St