Hi Mary,

We had a house destroyed by fire this year as well.  We abated both municipal and education taxes.  The municipality is still responsible for the education portion of the taxes.

Almira Aekus, Whitigham

From: Mary Ann Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:17 AM
Subject: Abate school taxes

I have an abatement hearing tonight of 2 properties destroyed by fire.  How many of you have split out the taxes: municipal and education, and voted on each?  I cannot find anything that says we may or may not specifically abate education taxes. I know of one town that did not vote to abate education taxes, and I know of another one that has done it both ways.  Title 24, 1535 states, “The board may abate in whole or part taxes…accruing to the town…”  Do towns have the authority to abate education taxes?  Thanks for your responses!

Mary Ann Wilson

Town Clerk and Treasurer
Town of Morristown
43 Portland St