OK-  So those establishments that simply board dogs for a few days while folks are on vacation or whatever no longer get a Kennel License, correct?  The way I am understanding Garret is that they don’t get anything special.  License for their own animals, assuming they have them and the assumption that any animal they board is already licensed, correct?  They are not breeding by any means so they don’t fall under the Pet Dealer Permit criteria, they are not rescue shelters, they are not really veterinarians.  So Breeders get Pet Dealer Permits, Boarders (kennels) don’t get any distinguishing license, correct?

Or does the Kennel License still exist, only it doesn’t apply to those folks who meet the criteria for a Pet Dealer Permit?


Mark Goodwin

Town Clerk

9823 Cold River Rd

Shrewsbury, VT 05738

[log in to unmask]




From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of kimberly pedley
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pet Dealer Permits


Do we know yet where to get a PET DEALER PERMIT?


From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Garrett Baxter
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 7:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pet Dealer Permits


Hi everyone,


Sorry for not responding earlier, but we've been incredibly busy.  I've been trying to finalize the "Big Book of Woof" (I should be able to post the final version here on MUNINET sometime this Friday if not sooner) and an article for our next VLCT newsletter on the pet dealer license which I've copied below.  In response to Linda's questions, yes the pet dealer license essentially replaces the former kennel license (see article for more information about who exactly it covers); the special license is the breeders license-there has been no change there-the fees are the same as they were before which Linda correctly captured below.  I hope this message and article clears some things up.  If not or if there are other questions that need answering, please let me know. 




Garrett A. Baxter


Garrett A. Baxter, Esq.

Senior Staff Attorney, Municipal Assistance Center

Vermont League of Cities and Towns

1-800-649-7915 ext. 1917

[log in to unmask]


The information contained in this transmission may contain privileged and confidential information.  It is intended only for the use of the person(s) to whom it  is addressed above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication is  prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email or telephone and destroy all copies of the original message.  Thank you.


What is a Pet Dealer License?


During the 2013 legislative session, state lawmakers implemented changes to the pet merchant licensing program that had historically been managed by the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets (VAAFM). The dealer permit takes the place of the kennel permit, which is now obsolete and applies only to those who meet the statutory definition of a “pet dealer.”


A pet dealer is “any person who sells or exchanges or who offers to sell or exchange cats, dogs, or wolf-hybrids, or any combination thereof, from three or more litters of cats, dogs, or wolf-hybrids in any 12-month period. This definition shall not apply to pet shops, animal shelters, or rescue organizations as those terms are defined in section 3901 of this title (Title 20).” 20 V.S.A. § 3541(10). A person meeting this definition must annually obtain a pet dealer license from a municipal clerk. This permit costs $25.00 and expires on March 31st. This fee is in addition to, and not a substitute for, all other licensing fees (e.g., basic license, working farm dog license, or breeding [aka “special” license]) as it is a separate, stand-alone license for operating as a pet dealer. For example, if an owner has dogs over six months old from three or more litters for sale, he or she must pay to license each individual dog and also pay for a pet dealer license. “The provisions of subchapters 1, 2, and 4 of this chapter not inconsistent with this subchapter shall apply to the pet dealer permit which shall be in addition to other permits required.” 20 V.S.A. § 3681. If not obtained by April 1st, a pet dealer license may still be obtained, but the fee will increase by 50 percent (i.e., to $37.50). Unlike with basic licenses, there is no discount for a pet dealer permit, based on when during the year it’s obtained..


You may use the agency’s pet dealer permit form to issue permits to qualified individuals, but you must print out and complete two copies. Town clerks are required to keep a copy of the completed form, which must include the type of animals kept, in their office. The permittee is required to post a copy of the same.


Last July, VAAFM’s Animal Health Section sent a letter to all municipal clerks that included some helpful information:


•     Upon issuance of the Pet Dealer permit, the municipal clerk must provide the pet dealer with a copy of Part 3 of the Animal Welfare Regulations promulgated by VAAFM. You can download the document at http://agriculture.vermont.gov/animal_health/registrations_licensing/pet_dealer.


•     Upon issuance of the permit, the clerk must also give the pet dealer VAAFM’s Animal Health Office telephone number (802-828-2421). Permittees should direct questions to either the clerk or the Health Office.


•     Upon issuance of the permit, the clerk must also give the pet dealer the telephone number of the Department of Taxes (802-828-2421). Callers should choose option 3 and ask to speak with a business tax examiner for any information regarding sale tax obligation for the sale of pets.


For additional information, visit www.agriculture.vermont.gov. Click on the animal health tab and then registrations/licensing to get to the pet dealer permit page.


Garrett Baxter, Senior Staff Attorney

VLCT Municipal Assistance Center






From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Nunn
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 4:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pet Dealer Permits


I agree Sharon they are not answering our questions. It is now time to start licensing dogs.


Looking at a sheet I got last year at a seminar, I am wondering if the Kennel License ($10.00) is now a Pet Dealers Permit now ($25.00) is the Special License ($30.00) now the Breeders License? Is it still going to be $30.00 for the first 10 dogs as before, plus the $1.00 for each license sold? After the 10 dogs –eleven plus $3.00 each under the (special or Breeders license)?




Linda L. Nunn, Groton Town Clerk

1476 Scott Hwy.

Groton, VT 05046

802-584-3276 Phone / Fax #

[log in to unmask]


Office hours:

Monday, Tuesday & Thursday

8:30 am to 12:30 pm & 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Wednesday & Friday 8:30 am to 12:30 pm


From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Town of Danville
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 3:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pet Dealer Permits


I have downloaded the Big Book of Woof, but it doesn't answer my specific questions. i.e. If we sell a Pet Dealer's License, do we sell a regular license for each adult dog, or do they get the breeding license that covers up to 10 pets? (In that case, we issue regular licenses, but don't charge up to 10). It says the Breeding License is "Completely Voluntary". What does that mean? According to the rules, a Pet Dealer sells dogs from three or more litters, minimum. Does that mean that if someone breeds less than 2 litters doesn't qualify and has to get a "regular" license?

Also, how do we deal with pet owners who are just licensing their herd of hunting dogs? Because the legislature has decided to put the responsibility on the municipal offices in issuing these licenses I would like to have some clarity.




On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:48 PM, Bobbi Brimblecombe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

You can download that from the Dept of Agriculture website, along with the information that you are supposed to hand out to anyone who gets a permit.


I could only find a draft of the book of woof on VLCT's website - does anyone know if it's been finalized? Maybe you could send a link?

At 03:28 PM 1/6/2014, you wrote:

Could maybe a copy of this Pet Dealer license or form be put out here for all of us to see?

Amber J Holland
Town Clerk/Treasurer
Town of Readsboro
PO Box 187
301 Phelps Lane
Readsboro, VT 05350
Phone (802) 423-5405
Fax (802) 423-5423
From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Town of Danville
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2014 2:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pet Dealer Permits
Thank you for your input. I believe the kennel license is now replaced by the Pet Dealer's License. Can you send me a copy of the form that you have the owners sign?
I have the same problem here. We have a couple of hunters keeping beagles for their own use and someone with sled dogs. They are not breeders, but want a break on licenses. I am just a little uncertain how to deal with this this year. It goes against my conscience to issue licenses to these people when I know they don't really qualify, but I don't feel comfortable confronting them either.
I have a call into VLCT for specific clarification that I can't find in ANY of the piles of paper that I have downloaded from various sites. The State Veterinarian's office can't answer these questions as they are no longer involved in this licensing due to the legislature putting it in the hands of the municipalities.
If I get any information from them, I will try to let anyone know that is interested.
On Friday, January 3, 2014 4:24 PM, Roberta Dana <mailto:[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The "Book of Woof" can be downloaded off the VLCT website.  Our clerk did it a couple of days ago.

----- Original Message -----

From: Marjorie Peff

To: [log in to unmask]

Sent: Friday, January 03, 2014 3:44 PM

Subject: Re: Pet Dealer Permits


I was able to get a pdf draft copy of the book of woof by contacting VLCT. I tried to send it to you, but the muninet will not take that attachment. Marge Peff [log in to unmask]


From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Town of Danville

Sent: Monday, December 30, 2013 3:08 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Pet Dealer Permits


Does anyone understand how the Pet Dealer Permits are going to work this year as opposed to the former Kennel/Special Licenses? Is there any literature for us to use (other than the statutes)? I would like to be able to at least appear to know what I am talking about when these people come in to renew. We have a total of 7.






NOTICE: Under Vermont public records law, documents - including e-mail - in the possession of public officials about town business are classified as public records. This means if anyone asks to see it, we are required to provide it. There are very few exceptions. We welcome citizen comments and want to hear from our residents, but please keep in mind that what you write in an e-mail is not private and could show up in the local newspaper.

Bobbi Brimblecombe
Marshfield Town Clerk
122 School Street, Room 1
Marshfield, VT 05658
(802) 426-3305
[log in to unmask]