The E911 Board has scheduled another two sessions via videoconference over the LNV/Scopia, etc. to share some technical assistance on the E911 issue.

I’ll use here a notice that Jeff Francis posted to the Superintendents Association about these upcoming sessions.   I URGE you to join us in one of the sessions that day to voice some of your desires for further technical assistance that goes deeper in helping schools understand the options available.    The E911 Board has some budget, though not large, to do this technical assistance outreach.   I  will continue to work with them to get more support to the schools around this issue.

The invite and links to join us on Feb. 4 are here below.. please plan on making an appearance.

I simply wanted to re-issue the reminder of the workshop referenced below for your consideration.  As I reported at the all-members meeting, there is not a statutory obligation regarding phone upgrades, but there is interest in the issue in the public safety community and on the part of the General Assembly.  It is useful if superintendents and/or their appropriate designees make an effort to learn about options for phone system upgrades and consider them in the context of school safety, facilities management, technology and infrastructure updates.

I am encouraging you to consider asking an appropriate member of your staff to participate in this ILN training scheduled for next Tuesday, February 4.  Information on this opportunity is included below:

Despite the fact that there is no obligation under Vermont law and regulation for schools to upgrade telephone systems to enable point of call identification within school buildings, we recognize that it may be a useful school safety, public safety and general operations strategy.  In that spirit we are working with the Vermont Agency of Education and the Enhanced 911 Board to support school districts in considering and facilitating phone system upgrades.

On February 4, 2014 at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., the Agency of Education and the Vermont Enhanced 911 Board are offering two more workshops to be delivered over the Learning Network of Vermont. During this workshop, information will be provided on options to address the issue of providing more accurate information when a 911 call is placed from a school location.

Registration for these workshops can be made at < https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uwdlQtE4CWD6T1XbBSDxJbialiF0LQYysYtBojeFAtI/viewform >.

RFor more information, contact Sigrid Olson, Technology Integration, at 802-828-0200 orSigrid [log in to unmask] < mailto:[log in to unmask]> for questions on the LNV

Contact:  Peter Drescher, Education Technology, at 802-828-5149 or [log in to unmask] < mailto:[log in to unmask]> for questions on E911

Thank you.

Peter Drescher

Education Technology Coordinator

Vermont Agency of Education

Integrated Support for Learning Division

120 State St.

Montpelier, VT  05620

Ph.: 802.828.5149

FAX: 802.828.0573