 A group of seven (not clicker counted ;) intrepid birders in Washington
County decided to get the New Year off to a great start with the first
annual FIRST BIRDS adventure.

First stop on the first: Gregg Hill Rd for the NORTHERN HAWK OWL at 9am.
Several other birders had braved the cold and were there when we arrived.
Josh Lincoln, Mad Birder by default, had the NHOW in his sight when we
arrived.

We then headed to Berlin for our second stop on the first. By 10:30am we
had found the SNOWY OWL hunkered down at the end of the runway at E. F.
Knapp airport in Berlin, VT thanks to the Eagle eyes of Chip Darmstadt.
This owl was doing a wonderful job of blending in by looking like a big
chunk of icy snow. We managed to get much closer to get a fantastic view of
this owl from Industrial Ave, where we could look down and 'see' this well
disguised bird.

There were other interesting birds near the airport today too: we spotted a
NORTHERN SHRIKE from East View Lane and a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK was posed for
takeoff at the tiny airport near the private planes.

Happy New Year and First Birding to all!
Patti
Moretown