An amazing first birding day of the year. On the way home from my morning
outing with the Mad Birders, viewed a Rough-legged Hawk along Route 2 just
West of Waterbury.

A half mile from my home in Starksboro I found a Snowy Owl, located on top
of a silo at the intersection of Route 116 and Varney Hill Road. Folks at
the house next to the silo told me the bird has been there for over a week.
While watching it a Juvenile Accipiter (I think a Goshawk but my ID has not
been confirmed) landed on a nearby power line. Managed to get a photo with
the hawk in the foreground and the Snowy on the silo in the background.

After that I ran out to Addison and found 4 Snowies before sunset. Thanks
to the Mad Birders for an unforgettable first day of 2014.

--
Zacheriah T. Cota-Weaver
Starksboro, VT 05487