Hello Vermont Birders:

I checked a few spots along the shore of Lake Champlain in Burlington and
Shelburne this morning. I saw a lot of ice and not much else.

Since many of us bird more on the weekends, I thought a few folks might
appreciate a heads-up that the lake ice has expanded greatly.

At Perkins Pier in Burlington, the ice extended out beyond the breakwater.
There were hundreds of Mallards and a few American Black Ducks sleeping on
the ice. I couldn't tease out anything unusual among the expected three
gull species on the ice either.

Blodgett Beach in Burlington was iced in.

I moved south and found more of the same in Shelburne. Shelburne Bay in its
entirety was frozen. Also ice along the shoreline on the NW side of
Shelburne Point.

Meach Cove at Shelburne Beach was ice-covered but just the cove. There were
plenty of ducks at the ice edge but sea smoke obscured these birds.

I finally found open water close to shore at Charlotte Beach. Sea smoke
limited visibility here but shouldn't be as much of a problem tomorrow
given the warmer temps forecasted. The usual ducks were in view. Good-sized
raft of Bufflehead close in.

I suspect the ducks will be concentrating even more in Addison County.

Good birding,
Eric

Eric Hynes
Hinesburg, VT