From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Walter Medwid
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2014 11:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [VTBIRD] New use for old Xmas tree

For the past few years I've taken our tree,  stand and all to a spot on the
deck where our feeders are located. The chickadees make great use of it as a
place to open seeds, tree sparrows routinely feed below the tree and it does
offer some safe haven from predators. And just several yards from our
viewing window it offers an opportunity to observe behaviors from the
comfort of being indoors especially during these sub zero mornings. There's
something satisfying as well about extending the value and use of this
locally harvested resource. Not as exciting as the snowy and hawk owls so
many of you are spotting but neat to see how quickly species adapt to this
new object in their midst. From Derby.