From: mark paul
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] seeing double at Knapp Airport, Berlin

Well apparently sometime after you left Ali, I showed up and the waterbury
Ctr.
Hawk Owl put on quite a show.  You know you're a bird Geek when watching
an owl barf up a pellet is more exciting than football, skiing, or anything
else
you can think of.  And yes, I did retrieve the pellet for future
observation.

The Starksboro Snowy was in its usually place and I'm thinking there should
be lots of pellets there.

Mark

On Jan 12, 2014, at 2:39 PM, Alison Wagner wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> This morning,  I had the pleasure of birding with friends Linda Gionti and
> Patti Haynes in Washington County. First we drove to Waterbury Center with
> hopes of seeing the winter resident Northern Hawk Owl.  With its routine
> perches and hunting grounds well established, it didnít take long to
> locate it on the edge of the field, about equi-distant from Blue Heron
> Cove Road and Gregg Hill.  In addition to lovely looks, we enjoyed the
> company of visiting birders from New Hampshire as well as Virginia.  Next,
> a mother and son, returning from a canceled ski racing event, stopped to
> ask what we were looking at and it didnít take much convincing for them to
> park safely and join us.  They were not disappointed.
>
> Then, on to  E.F. Knapp State Airport in Berlin in hopes of finding a
> Snowy Owl.  We figured our chances would be good to find at least one
> since most of the snow was gone.  We hadnít stepped more than twenty feet
> from the car when we saw the whiter of the two Snowies fly to the fence
> edging the cemetery.  A closer look revealed the other, more heavily
> barred owl perched above it on the fence.  Like many other Vermont
> birders, I can now say with delight that we were seeing double, with both
> birds in the scopeís view.  Several cars passing by stopped to ask what we
> were looking at and again it did not take much convincing to lure them
> from their cars.  A woman in pajamaís and slippers shuffled to the scope
> and I loved seeing her animated expression when she focused on the bird.
>
> At the southern end of the airstrip, we were also able to locate a
> Northern Shrike, Rough-legged Hawk, and at least 50 Snow Buntings.
> Washington County is where itís at!
>
> LOVE winter birding!!
>
> Ali
> Huntington