The Northern Hawk Owl I first reported on Dec 15. in Waterbury Ctr., VT, is making quite a stir.  I heard reports that the VT. State Police arrived at the site this weekend to move folks off the road.  There was also a report that people were seen trying to attract the owl with dead mice for better photo opps.
These reports are second hand to me, (gleaned from comments of friends facebook pages).  However, I do urge people to have common sense when parking and attempting to view or photograph this owl.  Rt. 100 is a busy road with fast traffic.  And I would hope that photographers would also exercise restraint.
Otherwise I would be loath to publicly report sightings of unusual birds in the future.

I am still relieved that this owl hasnít been hit by a vehicle as it swoops low across the road.

Stay safe, enjoy birds, and may this hawk owl not regret its choice of winter territory along a busy Vermont road.

Liz Lackey
Stowe, VT