There is a wonderful B&B in Petersburg that has glass on three sides and is on pilings in Wrangell Narrows.  That was one of the best parts of our Alaska trip.  We took a kayaking tour up the Petersburg(?) River while there.  Though I got a bit tired at the end of the trip paddling back across the narrows as the tide turned.  I guess there wasn't anything about Alaska that we didn't love other than the stopover in one of the cruise line towns in the Inland Passage.  LOVED the Marine Highway!  Definitely take a cruise into Resurrection Bay... Captain's choice is great and if you are wearing your binocs, they will probably be sure you see as many bird species as possible.

Have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPad