And a HUGE part is how you eliminated more common similar species.

----- Original Message -----

From: UVM<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Sent: Friday, January 03, 2014 2:22 PM

Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Reporting/documenting Rare Birds

Two more bits of advice:  Record as many details and impressions as possible about the bird BEFORE consulting field guides, because it's amazing how reading idealized descriptions of a species can influence your own perceptions of what you saw.  Also, get as many visual details as possible BEFORE running for a camera.  Too often the bird is gone by the time you get ready to take a photo, or lighting conditions, etc make getting key field marks in the photo difficult. All of the above based on much experience writing and reviewing rare bird reports!

Scott

Sent from my iPhone