I thought I would pass on an observation posted to Northern NY Birds
listserv on Jan 6 by Joan Collins, a birding guide in the Adirondacks.  (I
don't think she'll mind.)

"I have observed 13 Snowy Owls in the past 3 days, and 21 different
individuals so far this winter. I keep wondering if I will ever again
experience such a remarkable irruption for this species in my lifetime. I
have observed a trend in my sightings  most occurred between 1 and 4:30
p.m. It appears that they mostly roost through the morning hours, but
actively hunt in the afternoons. The few individuals I have found in the
a.m. hours were roosting with closed eyes. I have observed the owls perched
on silos, telephone poles, metal and wooden fence posts, trees, the ground,
and bales of hay."

I'm wondering if anyone else has observed more Snowy activity in the
afternoon than morning.  If so, it might be a good thing to know for
increasing the odds of finding them.

--Ken Copenhaver