Def a great story!  Last winter my husband watched an ermine attack and battle a grey squirrel in our back yard.  He took some blurry photos (through the window) of a battle that waged on both sides of the driveway and up and down 3 different trees.  As the ermine was delivering the final blow a barred owl flew in and landed on a branch 10 feet above and watched as the ermine dragged the squirrel to an opening under a slab of marble 50 feet away.  Closer inspection of other photos showed the owl perched in a tree on the far side of the driveway from where the battle ended.  He thought for sure the owl was going to swoop in and fly off with them both, but it seemed to be more curious.