Hey Great info – you guys out there have a better eye on representing the mountains $$ spent etc on what’s good what’s not. FWIW – and this is low confidence but an uptick in snow accrual this weekend with a brush by nor’easter and potent Clipper maybe some big snow squalls/up sloping Sunday. Better than rain!! Hey.

From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Get Skied
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Mount Mansfield VT Stats...

Thanks for the stats Roger (or Andy).

I always waiver on whether to take much stock in the Mansfield snow depth chart. Its an important historical record for sure but it so often seems removed from the reality that the rest of the ski areas in the region are facing. For instance, it shows a not-totally-painfully-awful 2001-2002 season, which to me was the worst ski season for north central VT since the turn of the Millenium. I recall February having a rain or ice storm every weekend, after a long drought leading into the season which actually forced curtailment of snowmaking efforts at certain ski areas.

http://www.uvm.edu/~empact/data/gendateplot.php3?table=SummitStation&title=Mount+Mansfield+Summit+Station&xskip=7&xparam=Date&yparam=Depth&year%5B%5D=2001&width=800&height=600&smooth=0&csv=0&totals=0

That season got good for a spell late, but it was too late in many ways.

Its also worth noting that calendar year 2007 (the second half of 2006-07 ski season and the first half of 2007-08 ski season) was in my mind the best calendar year of skiing probably in decades. 2007 also featured the best spring, summer and fall weather. Kayakers loved it, gardeners loved it, cyclists loved it, I'm pretty sure it even worked out well for carwash operators. So maybe we are headed for a repeat of that. :)

Evan