Why is it I get the feeling some people took a deep gasp when they saw my header?  :)  "Oh, God, here it comes.  He's going to talk about the Air Force again...."    Well, yeah, but only minimally, I promise }:)

When I & others worldwide had our jobs abolished, practicing docs were up in arms.  Complaints & vociferous input sounded, but never got to the highest levels (When you're a colonel in charge of a hospital complaining to your boss, a 3-star general, is *not* the best career move.) nor would it have mattered if they had, since 3-stars have bosses too.  In the real world it may not be quite to the same degree, but it's still there.   What it too often boils down to is $$ & accounting myopia.  Sometimes the short-sightedness is clueless, & sometimes it's truly necessary.  But even when it *is* necessity, the damage done to present & *future* generations of docs is still exactly the same. :/

One other comment [No, don't worry, it's not dot-mil :)]:

>> the powers that be checked with our pediatric residency program about library resources and found that only "access" was required.

And *that* is a MAJOR problem, since accrediting entities' standards people almost certainly worked in at least a partial vacuum.  They figure just "access" is enough.  The fact that that "access" may in fact be extremely iffy & insufficient is irrelevant: "Hey, 'access' is 'access,' right?  So we got it covered, moving on...."  It's only years later that the true impact is seen, & by then the guilty are either retired or dead, so....  Our own (i.e., MLA) people struggle *very* hard to put sanity on the table when JCAHO & other standards are being framed, but in the end they nearly always lose.  Those of us who remember the pre-94 CAMH remember when the library section was 7 front-&-back pages, & by-God you WOULD have a qualified librarian, period, end-of-discussion.  And where & how much are we now?  Right, exactly.  God help the future of GME, & God also help the even greater generations of patients those doctors treat.  -sigh-

Bill

William F. Nichols, MLS | Medical Librarian | Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine |
350 Howard Street | Spartanburg, SC 29303| Office: 864-327-9852  Fax: 864-804-6986
(The views and opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the Edward Via College of
Osteopathic Medicine, and they may not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.