Per Michelle's "I think we need a study to see what actually happens when the librarian is gone.  We have enough anecdotal evidence to choke a horse, what we need is the hard stats, financial implications, etc." If anybody is aware of such a study, *please* share, thanks. Somebody asked the same question on MEDLIB-L last January and I don't recall any replies/summaries. The following article is a case study of a library closure but it focuses on how the collection and services were absorbed by other branches of this same health library system -- not the financial implications, etc. of a (hospital) library/librarian departure.

Czechowski, L., Barger, R., Fort, M., & Maxeiner, G. (2010). Letting Go: Closing a Branch Library of the Health Sciences Library System, University of Pittsburgh. Library Resources & Technical Services, 54(3), 153-163.

Mark Vrabel, MLS, AHIP, ELS
Information Resources Supervisor
Oncology Nursing Society
125 Enterprise Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15275-1214
412-859-6289 (phone)
twitter.com/ONSmark

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore, we do not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions that are present in this message, or any attachment, that have arisen as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.