Considering the number of PRIVATE  emails I've just gotten this morning regarding my post, not a whole lot of people know what, if anything, our professional organizations really, really do when a library gets that sour scent of possible closure.  And I confess, I don't know either.

I am not talking about somebody emailing a "Whoa, your library is closing, what should you do?" toolbox of helpful links.  I mean action.  Like it matters.  Like "count the fall of every sparrow."

Do they swoop in their supreme-level library advocates to meet and work with the affected librarian(s) to hammer the powers that be with overwhelming evidence of why their decision is short-sighted?

Do they send a condolence card?

Susan A. Bloomfield, MLS, AHIP
Health Sciences Librarian
Southern Maine Health Care