What do they do and how do they do it? Excellent questions. Michelle's mention of several groups made me search for a little info for comparison:

AMA Senior Management Staff List - http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/about-ama/our-people/ama-senior-management.page?

ALA Staff List - http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=stafflists

AIA Staff List - http://www.aia-aerospace.org/about/leadership_governance/aia_staff/

MLA Staff List - http://www.mlanet.org/about/contact_mla.html

Note how the last one on the list has no dedicated staff in the areas of advocacy. MLA's staff is also pretty small in comparison to the other groups. Unless we pair up with a larger organization for this kind of work, the majority of it falls to the membership. We have to advocate for ourselves rather than look to someone else to do the bulk of it for us.

Sally

Sally Gore, MS, MS LIS
Research Librarian & Informationist
Lamar Soutter Library