It would be nice if we had the support of some professional organizations in addition to our own....

-----Original Message-----
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nancy Crossfield
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2014 12:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Library Closing - be proactive?

Perhaps MLA or other professional groups could help us be more proactive and put together a brief but exciting e-mail blast and/or letter to send to top hospital executives lauding the fact that they are supporting excellence in business and patient care by providing library services and a librarian to their staff and physicians.  This could go to CEO's, COO's, CNO's, and the influential CFO's, stressing our impact on patient care and the ROI as we save the time of RNS and MDs.  (Our CFO recently told all managers that the hospital would be taking aim at sacred cows because we really, really needed to save money.  I'd like to think I was a must-have instead of moo-cow, but it will take someone or some group besides just me to influence him.  Luckily our CEO is an RN with a PhD who, so far, supports our library.)
     Just a thought.

Nancy Crossfield
Owen medical Library
St. Agnes Medical Ctr
Fresno, CA

>>> "Wold, Michael W." <[log in to unmask]> 01/27/2014 08:26 >>>
I think the we need to have CMS, the Affordable Care Act, Joint Commission, and other federal or state regulations require that a Library is a must!!

I remember many years ago that the Medical Library had a complete page or so in the Joint Commission manual--now we are under "information management"--No one cares!!

Also, again many years ago, I was a "consultant" for two hospitals that did not have a library, but if they could prove that Library Service was available if would be ok. This was in the 1980s--but it was some type of regulation.

We need some type of pull at the federal level/state level. Just my two cents!

Michael Wold, MLS
Medical Library
OSF St. Mary Medical Center
3333 North Seminary
Galesburg, Illinois 61401
309-344-3161 ext 4185/Fax 309-344-9464
"Serving with the Greatest Care and Love"