This has been highly recommended
Close Observer of U.S. Health System Gets (an Uncomfortably) Closer Look<http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227%3b67949808%3bl%2BBRZdirf3UWW/L9k4AaN3CCxlLqyJcilmcSAxqG0JQ%3D>
By Joe Elia
Arnold Relman, a long-time commentator on U.S. health policy, got unexpectedly immersed in the healthcare system last summer when he broke his neck in a fall. He recounts the experience in The New York Review of Books.
His narrative gives a patient's-eye view of his ordeal and subsequent recovery. He also offers this observation: "New technologies and electronic record-keeping affect how doctors do their work. Attention to the masses of data generated by laboratory and imaging studies has shifted their focus away from the patient. Doctors now spend more time with their computers than at the bedside."
And this: "What personal care hospitalized patients now get is mostly from nurses."
We should note that Dr. Relman served as editor-in-chief (and this writer's boss) at the New England Journal of Medicine. We assure you that, should other medical editors have similar misfortunes and live to write about them so engagingly, we will cover them.

New York Review of Books story<http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227%3b67949808%3bl%2BBRZdirf3UWW/L9k4AaN%2B2/wn0DY6sBlmcSAxqG0JQ%3D> (Free)

Patricia Reynolds
Director, Bishopric Medical Library
Sarasota Memorial Hospital
1700 S. Tamiami Trail
Sarasota FL 34239
941-917-1730
941-917-1646 - fax
http://www.smhcs.org/p.aspx?p=431

Confidentiality Notice: the information contained in this email and any attachments may be legally privileged and confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments immediately. You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or any attachments for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of the contents to any other person.