From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Guertin
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 12:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] AT Bindings

OK, I'll jump in with neither Sheffy's nor Leigh's response, but my own, which is probably somewhere in between those two. I've got four pairs of AT-mounted skis sitting in the house at the moment. Their bindings are Dynafit Vertical ST (1), Marker Baron (1), and Fritschi Freeride (old ones) (2). They're all fine bindings, and I like them all. I guess you could say they all have their strengths, which is another way of saying that they all suck at something, just something different in each case.

My take is that the Dynafits are biased toward uphill performance, the Markers are biased toward downhill performance, and the Fritschis are somewhere in the middle.  I'll say that for a long day of touring, the Dynafit wins easily, and for a long day of lift-served, the Fritschis or Markers would be the choice (with the disclaimer that my Markers are new, and I've only skied on them a handful of times, and never even worn them in tour mode). Having said that, I'll also say that the Dynafits are better on the downhill than the Fritschis (and probably the Markers) are on the uphill. By "better" uphill, I mean lighter and with a more natural stride.

So for a quiver of one, I personally would opt for Dynafits, and as I've said here before, I've had lots of fun lift-served days with them.

So why did I put Marker Barons on my new fat skis? Because they're going to see mainly lift-served use, but I want to keep open the possibility of an odd sidecountry or short backcountry excursion with them. They (and their stouter cousin, the Duke) are pretty much an alpine binding with a tour mode.

I have more miles on the Fritschis than the other two put together, and to me they're a compromise binding -- not as nice as the Dynafit going up, and not as nice as the Marker going down (having the boot an inch above the ski is not my favorite arrangement), but fair to middling at both.

Regarding boots, if you've already got tele and/or alpine boots, you're going to want new boots anyway. You can use alpine boots in most of the non-tech bindings, but for backcountry use you probably wouldn't want to skin very far that way.

Dave G.