  _____

From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sharon Heller
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2014 9:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Steamboat 2/1-5

  I was mesmerized by the quality of the snow. So light and dry. The
mountain was like Jay Peak on steroids. The sidecountry off Pony Express was
like the Dip. Go out the skier's right boundary, ski down, traverse left,
and if you go too far, you have to climb out (which we did once).

I did not see a root anywhere...sure there were some stray limbs and the
steepest rockiest areas may have shown an easily avoidable rock. There were
so many wonderful glades either evergreen or aspen.

On Thursday I skied with a friend who lives there. Due to his sensitivity to
the cold, he could not ski the upper mountain which IMO had the best snow
all week. But he showed me some of his stashes off Thunderhead and Burgess
Creek. It was pretty cold on Thursday, though it was not as brutal as it
gets here at those near zero temps. I never had to double layer my base
layers like I do here when it is in the single digits. I didn't even need a
balaclava, just a neck gaiter.

Here you can see me becoming one with the glades (photo credit Eric Morton)
 Inline image 1
<https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1798224_101521781408446
60_158202660_n.jpg>