I use “ette” in numerous occasions in order to identify someone
as a female (“buddette” and “dudette” are terms I use frequently).  Even in traditionally male dominated
environments, females still want to be made to feel like women and not men no
matter what task/role they perform.  If
anything, it is somewhat of a sign of respect done in a whimsical endearing
way.  Sometimes, I use “ess”, as well as
in “Instructress” for a female instructor or “Governess” for a woman who is s
state Governor.
Mark P. Renson