Great TR, Dan. Thanks to Sharon, Eric, & you for the updates. It's been fun to follow along on your trip.

--Matt

On Feb 7, 2014, at 9:47 AM, telenaut <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Steamboat 2/1-5 Here ya go, Ranger.
(And just to weigh in... if you prefer expressive language to correct, and I do, patrollerette was exactly the right choice of word in the Ranger’s tale. OTOH, of course, if you prefer clean poles to not-so, and I do, keep a ten foot distance—or more--between you and the Ranger’s tail.)

+++

Sad to hear all the VT “woods not ready”s.

Steamboat’s woods were so-oo ready. It’s a big, spread out mountain. Even staying, as we did, above the gondola for 5 days (hope Eric and Sharon had a good day yesterday). Seemed there were these “little” tree shots almost anywhere you looked. “Little” in quotes, because they were only little in relation to the big, wide, long trails. (Exception: there were some little tree shots on far skier’s left that really were little, and were followed by a long, long, near-flat runout.)

Mostly we stayed skier’s right. Favorite might have been a side country run there (thanks, Jerm and EricK) that reminded me, in name and aspect, of MRG’s 19th.

Big favotite, though, was the snow. There was plenty of it, everywhere. Maybe I saw one rock and one root in 5 days? And two patches of what—if you wanted to be really, really persnickety—you might call “icy.” By which I mean you could hear it when you turned on it. Other than that... perfect?!

First few days I skied my Lines, and loved their turniness. 4th day I struggled on them. Could have been due to sinking too far into the deeper snow. Or could have been the body slam penalty I took for my poor chairlift skills. Misjudged where the ground was and by the time I realized it was under my feet, it wasn’t. Jumped off as the chair began to turn and got thrown harder than expected to the ground. No serious injury, but I didn’t ski well the rest of the day.

Last day I switched to the CMHs. It was a plus-and-minus tradeoff. They floated well, and their shortness made them easy to whip around (tele or alpine) in tight places. But I really missed the elegant carve of the Lines. (Never more so than when I got going way too fast on a wide groomer. Didn’t have the nerve to really dig those edges in hard, and the back-and-forth I was doing served only to keep me from accelerating. Seemed like forever before the pitch and my speed moderated some!) Also took a while to adjust technique. Telegeeks, does this make sense? Turning the CMHs with Superloops had a completely different rear foot feel than turning the Lines with 7TMs. The Lines/7TMs make it easy to keep the ball of your rear foot down. With the CMH/Loops, my rear foot wanted to go up on tippy toe. I had to work harder to weight it down. Sharon informed me that you should always weight your rear foot in a tele turn. That’s not the issue. It was that I had to weight it more with the Loops.

Another tip from Sharon—face downhill--turned out quite timely. Worked on that one quite a bit.

Mostly, though, I just followed Eric. He was a terrific navigator and leader. Saved me from having to think too much, and allowed me to just pattern my turns after his smooth, easy-going style of skiing. Quiet upper body, heels and legs swinging like a loose pendulum.

Back to the snow. Besides lovely tree skiing, I was surprised over and over how much I enjoyed the open trails. Occasionally a groomer, but especially the cut-up, ungroomed, lightly moguled pitches we seemed to find everywhere. So fun when a little mini-launch in the bumps makes it easier, not harder, to turn.

Also enjoyed the recurring, mystical feeling when you’d find yourself on a huge open slope and not another soul in sight.

Also enjoyed the little grey snow birds we saw on the backside Sunshine Express lift, and nowhere else. Strange body-shape, almost bumblebee-like with wings that looked—in flight, at least—almost round. They flew surprisingly straight, not loopy like small bird often do, but in a smoth pattern more like you’d expect from a big bird. Only those little round wings were going like crazy, non-stop.

Great trip.

--tn

P.S. Temps. It was cold. Highs in the single digits most days. But so weirdly dry that the cold didn’t seep in like you’d expect. If I heard right, some days the “real feel” temp was warmer than the actual. Last day (Wednesday) it did get truly cold, and off the mountain, in Boulder on Thursday, a friend was saying he’d never seen it so cold in his many years there. Standing around waiting for a transfer bus was Broo Tal. Cranked the hotel room temp up to a temp that may impact the nation’s fossil fuel reserves. Sorry, people who like unpolluted air.

------ End of Forwarded Message