Dear fellow librarians,

I have an ED doc who would like to know how the phrase "pain out of
proportion" came into being.  I searched Google, HotBot, Medline, PsycINFO,
textbooks on pain, and medical dictionaries for starters.  Although there
are tons on references where the phrase was used in the medical literature
nothing points to the origin.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try next?  I'm surprised that there
hasn't been a historical paper on the phrase since it describes patients
who are experiencing pain yet are not physically presenting symptoms.  This
covers a variety of conditions such as compartment syndrome, necrotizing
fasciitis, and mesenteric ischemia to name a few.

Please respond off list.

TIA,
Sunny Sritongsook