(a variant cross posted on http://www.kraftylibrairan.com/?p=2603)

I am thinking more and more about my Presidential priorities.  Now the
current President elect (soon to be President at end of MLA '14) Linda
Walton has not officially announced her priorities, so I know I am very
early in the process.  But I want to get a head start because I think it
will take me time to refine them.

Here is a very unofficial rough timeline of the Presidential priorities.

*President Elect year - Attend MLA Board meetings to get familiar with
current issues happening within MLA. Work with the rest of the Board to
help the current President and with his/her priorities.  Start thinking
of and create my own Presidential priorities and present them to the
Board.

*Presidential year - Present the priorities to the membership and create
task forces or have committees assigned to help achieve the priorities.

*Past Presidential year - The priorities work from the task forces,
committees, etc. either wind down or evolve.  With the help of the rest
of the Board, work with the task forces or committees as they wind down
or evolve.

In a nutshell I have one year to think of my priorities, one year to get
them started and see them to their completion or evolution.  In reality
not every Presidential priority is able to finish in that timeline.  It
would be difficult and unwise to abandon unfinished priorities from
previous Presidents. Some priorities can be finished within a year, but
others require several years to finish, or evolve into regular, ongoing
MLA activities (committee charges, HQ staff assignments, etc.)

While I am looking at my predecessors' Presidential priorities I want to
also take into account the MLA membership's thoughts on what my
priorities should be.

I am asking MLA members to think about what my Presidential priorities
should be as they relate to MLA's mission.
http://www.mlanet.org/about/mission.html

**Please keep in mind, I will also be helping to finish previous
Presidential priorities AND don't forget the time crunch I mentioned
about really only having 1 year to see them through to the finish or
have them progressing to evolve in an ongoing activity.  I am looking
for meaningful but reasonably doable.  If it is something that is long
range or multi layered, it won't get completed. But that doesn't mean it
can't be something that lays the foundation for something long range and
multi layered that can run on its own (such as a committee) long after
my term.

Rome was not built in a day. My ultimate goal, independent of any
priority, is to help others and inspire them to be active and work to
better MLA and medical librarianship.  I think of it a bit like this....
One snow flake is small and easily melts by itself, but when it is
packed in a snowball with other snow flakes as it rolls down a hill, it
becomes a stronger force to be dealt with.  I cannot do it alone.

Please respond to me off list.
Thanks,
Michelle

Michelle Kraft, MLS, AHIP
Senior Medical Librarian
Cleveland Clinic Alumni Library
9500 Euclid Ave. NA 30
Cleveland, OH 44195
(216) 445-7338

Cleveland Clinic is ranked as one of the top hospitals in America by U.S.News & World Report (2013).
Visit us online at http://www.clevelandclinic.org for a complete listing of our services, staff and locations.

Confidentiality Note:  This message is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error,  please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

Thank you.