There's also an educator from Henrico County in Virginia, +DougSaunders on Google+, he's created some great templates using Google Sites https://sites.google.com/site/sitesexamples199/

He even has one that he calls a 'Weebly' template!

Linda

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Lucie deLaBruere <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The pros and cons for either tool probably depends on what you have defined as the purpose of the eportfolio. The eportfolio can mean many things for different people. For many it is much more of a process than it is a web page.  For others it is a final website that you can use as a showcase of your best work for a job or college interview, perhaps.  There are many products out there (including Weebly)  which provide a much more polished look than Google Site for this purpose.  But with a little creativity and an eye for design,  even Google Sites can look pretty polished.
If you are looking for some innovative ideas for giving a  Google Site  a real facelift  check out the Interesting Designs for Google Tools community at https://plus.google.com/communities/103028898804866428882
I bet you can't even tell some of these are Google Sites.

If you want an ecosystem of tools that support a process you might want to look at Dr. Helen Barretts recommendations of how to use Google tools (not necessarily just sites)  but the whole eco-system of digital tools and how they work together to support the process that Dr. Barrett has designed.

Here is a link to Dr. Barrett's work on this topic (as one of the slides from my eportfolio presentation fro recent Google Summits).  In this slide deck are also several contributions from Vermont schools including Essex, Montpelier, St. Albans, and Mt. Abe.

In my grad class I offer several examples of  eportfolio tools, including Weebly and Sites.  One question I always have about Weebly is how the eportfolios stay with the students.  If Teacher A buys a classroom subscription for Weebly for her class, what happens when the kids go to another grade?  or if that teacher discontinues the subscription?  This is not picking on Weebly,  I'm sincerely interested in knowing what would happen in this case as I do have  grad students who use Weebly, who didn't know the answer to that.   Do the student sites disappear once the subscription stops?  Can they be transferred to another teacher or subscription.

Lucie