I would like to see the FAQ when its completed.

Thanks,

Larry Dougher
Chief Information Officer
Information Technology Services
Windsor Southeast Supervisory Union
127 State Street, Windsor, VT 05089
Email | Google+Twitter | LinkedIn | (802) 674-8336

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Drescher, Peter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello School IT:

A hearty thank you to those of you that contributed examples of how your school might be impacted if your ability to access online tools for students were restricted.

There was testimony given at the Senate Education committee the other day related to this issue.  A pair of parent/educators and a gentleman who has become an activist on student data issues addressed the committee and expressed their concerns about the use of the Common Core, the assessment for Common Core (SBAC) and the AOE's work with the Longitudinal Data grant.

Their concerns were coupled with their perception that hosting of data on vendor or other outside systems posed risks that could allegedly only be remedied by mandating that all student data be physically stored only at individual school sites.    Their chief concern was in the area of data collection and how they are interpreting that collection here in Vermont.   The testimony centered around FERPA in its current iteration and whether it still is fulfilling its role of protecting student data privacy.  Trevor Lewis from our legal office, and Brian Townsend, our IT Director, did a great job of clarifying the role of FERPA, which is still very much in effect, and the intent of the Agency in our own collection of data with regard the various programs mentioned above.

Our testimony was cut short by time and we did not get a chance to finish our rebuttal to the claims.  At this point, we are developing an FAQ for the field to help clarify any misconceptions around student data privacy and the role of public schools in protecting it.

Thanks again for your input on this matter.

In the meantime, a useful resource on this issue is available from the USDOE.   Check out the Protecting Student Privacy while Using Online Educational Resources document.

Peter Drescher
Education Technology Coordinator
Vermont Department of Education
120 State St.