At Chittenden East we have Sonicwall NSA routers at each building - at our
high school we have the extra subscription for application level
control/blocking, gateway antivirus, spyware, intrusion prevention, etc.
 This works well for finding and blocking proxies (not only urls but actual
applications like OpenDoor, Hotspot Shield, etc).

We use Bitdefender for our client antivirus (which also has content
filtering but we are not using that part of it).

We use OpenDNS (enterprise version) for our content filtering.  We also
block all outgoing DNS except our own which prevents anyone from just
entering their own DNS settings to bypass it.  We have gone through a lot
of different content filters through the years but DNS filtering offers the
best performance by far.  It is also super easy to configure and install -
no servers to maintain, cloud management, etc.

We use Aerohive access points which also firewall a lot of applications
right at the access point which reduces a lot of unnecessary traffic.

Feel free to contact me off list if you need any specifics.

Jeff

Jeff Wallis
Chief Network Engineer
Chittenden East Supervisory Union