-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Mathematicians push back against the NSA...
Date: 	Mon, 28 Apr 2014 09:57:51 -0700
From: 	Brian J. Fox <[log in to unmask]>
To: 	Herbert Fox Ph.D. <[log in to unmask]>

Maths spying: The quandary of working for the spooks - opinion - 23
April 2014 - New Scientist
<http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22229660.200-maths-spying-the-quandary-of-working-for-the-spooks.html?full=true#.U16H_a1dV3Q>

/Intelligence agencies hire lots of mathematicians, but would-be
employees must realise that their work is misused to snoop on everyone,
says *Tom Leinster*/

FOR the past 10 months, a major international scandal has engulfed some
of the world's largest employers of mathematicians. These organisations
stand accused of law-breaking on an industrial scale
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-broke-privacy-rules-thousands-of-times-per-year-audit-finds/2013/08/15/3310e554-05ca-11e3-a07f-49ddc7417125_story.html> and
are now the object of widespread outrage. How has the mathematics
community responded? Largely by ignoring it.

Those employers  the US National Security Agency (NSA) and the UK's
Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ
<http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/28/gchq-mass-surveillance-spying-law-lawyer>)
 have been systematically monitoring as much of our lives as they can,
including our emails, texts, phone and Skype calls, web browsing, bank
transactions and location data. They have tapped internet trunk cables,
bugged charities
<http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/20/gchq-targeted-aid-agencies-german-government-eu-commissioner> andpolitical
leaders
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/24/nsa-surveillance-world-leaders-calls>,
conducted economic espionage <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/25907502>,
hacked cloud servers
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-infiltrates-links-to-yahoo-google-data-centers-worldwide-snowden-documents-say/2013/10/30/e51d661e-4166-11e3-8b74-d89d714ca4dd_story.html> and
disrupted lawful activist groups, all under the banner of national
security. The goal, to quote former NSA director Keith Alexander, is to
"collect all the signals, all the time".

The standard justification for this mass surveillance is to avert
terrorism. US officials repeatedly claimed that mass surveillance had
thwarted 54 attacks. But the NSA eventually admitted it was more like
one or two; its best example was an alleged $8500 donation to a
terrorist group.

Some argue that the information gathered is "only metadata"  phone
numbers and call durations rather than what was said, for example. This
is not true. GCHQ has harvested webcam images, many sexual, of millions
of people. In any case, it is wrong to believe that collecting metadata
leaves privacy intact. As ex-NSA legal counsel Stewart Baker said:
"Metadata absolutely tells you everything about somebody's life."
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/nov/21/snowden-leaks-and-public/>

Others claim to be unbothered by the recording of their daily
activities, confident that no one will examine their records. They may
be right: if you never trouble the state, perhaps the state will never
trouble you. But even so, do we want it to hold such powerful tools for
stifling dissent, activism and even journalism?

And so to the mathematicians' role in all of this. The NSA claims to be
thelargest employer of mathematicians in the US
<http://www.nsa.gov/research/tech_transfer/advanced_math/>. It may be
the largest in the world. It part funds GCHQ, also a major employer of
mathematicians, and works closely with intelligence agencies in
Australia, New Zealand and Canada. Some mathematicians work for these
agencies full-time. Others do so during summer breaks or sabbaticals
from their university jobs.

We will never know exactly what mathematicians have done for these
agencies. GCHQ does not comment on intelligence matters, which is to
say, anything it does. But revelations by former NSA contractor Edward
Snowden suggest some possibilities.

For example, we know the NSA has undermined internet encryption. Certain
encryption methods use pseudorandom-number generators based on the
theory of elliptic curves. These are used to create keys for encrypted
information, ensuring only the sender and receiver can see credit card
details, for example.

Snowden revealed that the NSA inserted a secret back door into a widely
used elliptic curve algorithm, allowing it to break the encryption. That
could not have been done without sophisticated knowledge of the
mathematics involved, the details of which were recently described by
Thomas Hales <https://sites.google.com/site/thalespitt/> of the
University of Pittsburgh in the /Notices of the American Mathematical
Society/ (vol 61, p 190 <http://www.ams.org/notices/201402/rnoti-p190.pdf>).

Mathematicians seldom face ethical questions. We enjoy the feeling that
what we do is separate from the everyday world. As the number theorist
G. H. Hardy wrote in 1940: "I have never done anything 'useful'. No
discovery of mine has made, or is likely to make, directly or
indirectly, for good or ill, the least difference to the amenity of the
world."

That idea is now untenable. Mathematics clearly has practical
applications that are highly relevant to the modern world, not least
internet encryption.

Our work, then, can be used for both good and ill. Unfortunately for us,
it is the latter that is in the public eye. Already unpopular for our
role in the banking crash, we now have our largest employer running a
system of whole-population surveillance that even a judge appointed by
George W. Bush called "almost Orwellian".

So mathematicians must decide: do we cooperate with the intelligence
services or not?

Our situation has been likened to that of nuclear physicists in the
1940s. However, they knew they were building the atom bomb, whereas
mathematicians working for the NSA or GCHQ often have little idea how
their work will be used. Those who did so trusting that they were
contributing to the legitimate safeguarding of national security may
justifiably feel betrayed.

At a bare minimum, we mathematicians should talk about this. Maybe we
should go further. Eminent mathematician Alexander Beilinson of the
University of Chicago
<http://www.ams.org/notices/201311/rnoti-p1432.pdf> has proposed that
the American Mathematical Society sever all ties with the NSA, and that
working for it or its partners should become "socially unacceptable" in
the same way that working for the KGB became unacceptable to many in the
Soviet Union.

Not everyone will agree, but it reminds us that we have both individual
choices and collective power. Individuals can withdraw their labour.
Heads of university departments can refuse staff leave to work for the
NSA or GCHQ. National mathematical societies can stop publishing the
agencies' job adverts, refuse their money, or even expel members who
work for agencies of mass surveillance.

At the very least, we should acknowledge that these choices are ours to
make. We are human beings first and mathematicians second, and if we do
not like what the secret services are doing, we should not cooperate.

Thanks,

Brian
--
Brian J. Fox