Hi Ken, Others,

This is sent on behalf of the CA team at USU this year - however, the
reasoning is mine and has not been agreed by the other four, who may
have their own reasons for preferring the definition we have adopted.

--

Our definition of novice is those in their first year of University debating.

--

My reasoning goes as follows. Consider what the purpose of the Novice
division is. I believe that there is a value to recognising new

When considering whether to use "first year of BP debating" or "first
year of University debating", I thought about which of these would
advance the above goals more effectively.

We felt that the inclusion of people who were in their first year of
BP debating, but had experience in other formats, would weaken those
goals. The skills learned in other formats are definitely transferable
- argument development, strategy, general public speaking and so on.
It gives a significant advantage to those transferring across; enough
of an advantage, I would suspect, that to break in the 'Novice'
category as a first year speaker would be a big challenge. This is
particularly the case given the state of US debating, where many new
schools are coming over to the format.

I don't wish to name individuals, but the US circuit is littered with
extremely capable speakers who have transferred from one format to the
other. Vermont will have a Senior competing who has 3 years of Policy
experience, and 1 year of BP experience, who would qualify for the
novice division under the "first year of BP debating" suggestion. She
is clearly at a significant competitive advantage over Vermont's
first-year novices who have just 1 year of competitive BP experience.
If this is institutionalised across a circuit that has a lot of
transfers, I think it significantly limits all but the very best first
year novices from having even a chance to make the novice break and to
get a novice speaker award. Then we lose their access to the benefits
outlined above.

I recognise this concern applies to people coming from schools
debating as well. However, I believe it to be less significant. The
advantage of coming to BP from schools is less significant, as Schools
debating tends to be of a lower standard than collegiate debate. Even
in the UK, where Schools debate is more prevalent (and even in BP
format), the advantage of being a schools debater tends to be quickly
eroded over the first year of University debating. Furthermore,
currently the US has a higher presence of format crossovers than it
does former schools debaters. Should the ratio shift, this policy may
be worth revisiting, but I believe at present it is appropriate.
Even if we do consider this to be a major concern, and the prior
experience of School debating being relevant, I'd rather exclude
former schools debaters to have a pure novice division than allow
experienced crossovers - many of whom will break open at this year's
USU - to have a chance to pick up novice placings and awards should
they slip up.

We ultimately thought it was preferable to provide the benefits of the
Novice division more to those who are new to the activity, instead of
more to those who are new to the format. While it's regrettable that
there is a tradeoff, there's only a set number of outround places and
speaker awards available for novice divisions.

I hope that answers most of the concerns. I'd be very happy to answer
any questions that people may have, and definitely think it's a good
area of discussion for a meeting.

Yours,
James