[log in to unmask]" alt=""> Office of the President

April 7, 2014

From:  Tom Sullivan, President

To:      UVM Community

Re:       Gold Rating as a Sustainable Campus

I am delighted to announce that the University of Vermont has received the prestigious Gold rating as a sustainable campus through STARS, the national tracking program sponsored by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.  One year ago, I received the recommendation from the Envisioning Environment Committee that UVM enroll in this Sustainability Tracking and Assessment Reporting System, and now the Office of Sustainability, under the direction of Gioia Thompson, has completed our submission.  UVM has scored well particularly in credits for research, co-curricular education, water use reduction, and initiatives to address diversity and affordability. I invite you to review the submission at the STARS website,
https://stars.aashe.org/institutions/participants-and-reports/
Achieving Gold is a significant accomplishment. We must continue, however, to work toward greater efficiencies and sustainability awareness on our campus.  I believe UVM should be a national leader in this area, and I want to support all who are working across campus to address these critical issues.  The STARS report has given us an excellent baseline for monitoring UVM’s efforts.  To build on this self-assessment, I am appointing a Sustainability Task Force to develop a sustainability plan with goals and objectives for the next three years that we can focus on as a campus community.

I extend my congratulations to all who worked hard to prepare the many sections of this comprehensive report.  This is an achievement that reflects well on our University’s campus-wide commitment to sustainability values that is so important to our students and our wider Vermont community.  I am pleased that UVM is taking a leadership role in modeling innovative practices to do our part in building a sustainable future for generations to come.

--
Tom Sullivan
President

(802) 656-7878 (office)