	*Office of the President
*

	April 29, 2014

From: Tom Sullivan, President

To: UVM Community

Re: *President?s Committee on Alcohol and Drug Use*

On February 10, 2014 in a message to the University Community, I
expressed my growing concern about the very real threat to the health
and success of our community resulting from the high-risk use of
alcohol, marijuana and the misuse of prescription medications.As I
continued my dialogue with faculty, staff, and most importantly with
students this semester, my concern has only strengthened.I believe that
we are at a critical juncture in the University?s trajectory, and that
in order to realize our potential to become a truly great institution we
must boldly and resolutely address this issue.

The health, safety, engagement, and success of our students are of
paramount importance to our University.High-risk drinking and substance
use among students is a national public health issue on college and
university campuses.It is an issue that negatively impacts the health
and wellbeing of our students both directly and indirectly.In line with
the national experience, it has represented an intractable obstacle to
student success and the quality of life of our community.With this in
mind, it is critical that we engage this issue directly and
effectively.We need to:

·Assume a leadership role in naming the problem, address it systemically
in realistic and incremental fashion, and resolve it.

·Adopt a public health, systems-based approach to its solution, ensuring
that our work is based on solid data, that our interventions are
evidence-based whenever possible and that the communication about our
successes and our failures is transparent.

·Understand that this work will involve a reevaluation of current
institutional systems that contribute to our current challenge.

·Understand that this work is the concern, responsibility, and
opportunity of all segments of the University Community.

As a follow up to my earlier communication, I am announcing the
appointment of the President?s Committee on Alcohol and Drug Use. The
Committee is a campus-wide task force of students, faculty, staff,
parents, and alumni to begin to address these issues broadly and
effectively. The Committee is charged with the following:

·Understand the scope of the problem and its implications as they apply
to the University of Vermont by reviewing and understanding relevant
national and UVM data.

·  Become informed about promising initiatives designed to mitigate the
impact of alcohol and substance use on our campus.

·Evaluate our current campus structures, systems, policies and
procedures in light of this information to identify barriers to reducing
high-risk behavior as well as aspects of the University?s status quo
that unintentionally promote this type of behavior.

·Provide preliminary recommendations to me by September 30 2014, which
will be shared broadly with the University community for comments and
suggestions.

The Committee will be co-chaired by Annie Stevens, Vice Provost for
Student Affairs, Jon Porter, MD, Director of the Center for Health and
Wellbeing, and Harry Chen, MD, Commissioner of the Vermont Department of
Health (UVM alum, parent of a UVM alum, and former member of the
University of Vermont Board of Trustees).To advance the work of the
Committee in addressing its charge, subcommittees chaired by members of
the Committee, have been created to focus on specific topical areas. For
a full list of the members of the Committee and subcommittees, please
see below.

I want to express my sincere appreciation to the members of the
President?s Committee and to those serving on a subcommittee for their
commitment and dedication.I look forward to receiving the Committee?s
recommendations and, more importantly, taking the steps to address the
issues that impact the health and wellbeing of our students.

*_President?s Committee on Alcohol and Drug Use_*

**

**Aya Al-Namee*, *Undergraduate Student and SGA President*

*

*Bruce Brown, *Social Worker and Parent

*Patrick Brown, *Director of Student Life and the Davis Center

**

*Joel Goldberg, *Associate Professor of Biology, Associate Dean of the
College of Arts and Sciences, and Parent

*Hendrika Maltby, *Professor of Nursing, College of Nursing and Health
Sciences

**

*Nick Negrete, *Assistant Dean of Students for Retention//

*David Nestor, *Dean of Students and Parent//

*Joseph Oteng, *Undergraduate Student and member Phi Mu Delta

**

*Patty Prelock, *Professor of Communications Sciences and Dean of the
College of Nursing and Health Sciences//

**

*Jennifer Prue, *Senior Lecturer, College of Education and Social
Services and Chair of the Faculty Senate Student Affairs Committee //

*Brian Reed,*Associate Professor of Rehabilitation and Movement Science,
College od Nursing and Health Sciences and Associate Provost for
Teaching and Learning

*Lisa Schnell*, Associate Professor of English, College of Arts and
Sciences and Associate Dean of the Honors College

*Joe Speidel, *Director of Community Relations

**

*Patience Whitworth, *Assistant Dean of Students for Assessment, Student
Learning, and Technology

**

*Beth Wiser, *Director of Admissions //

//

The following are the members of the Subcommittees:

*Subcommittee on Academic Engagement*

**

*Brian Reed,*Associate Professor of Rehabilitation and Movement Science,
College of Nursing and Health Sciences and Associate Provost for
Teaching and Leaning */(Co-Chair)/*

*Lisa Schnell*, Associate Professor of English, College of Arts and
Sciences and Associate Dean of the Honors College*/(Co-Chair)/*

*Cindy Forehand,*//Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology, College of
Medicine and Interim Dean of the Graduate College,

*John Ryan, *Director of the Office of Institutional Research**

*Erica Caloeiro*, Director of Student Services, College of Nursing and
Health Sciences

*Dani Comey*, Director of Orientation and Associate Director of Student
Life

*Andrew Bowen, *Undergraduate Student and SGA Vice President

*Subcommittee on Community Standards and Student Accountability*

*Joel Goldberg, *Associate Professor of Biology, Associate Dean of the
College of Arts and Sciences */(Co-Chair)/*

*David Nestor, *Dean of Students, Division of Student Affairs */(Co-Chair)/*

*Stacey Miller*, Director of Residential Life

*Lianne Tuomey, *Chief of Police

*Lacretia Flash, *Asst. Dean of Students for Policy, Conduct and Climate

*Kim Martin*, Director, Center for Student Ethics and Standards

*Johanna Brabham *Custodial Services**

*Laurey Burris, *Director, Student Success for the College of Medicine**

*Rob Drago, *Graduate Student, Higher Education and Student Affairs**

*Cristian Burgio, *Undergraduate student and Resident Assistant

*Subcommittee on Communications*

**

*Nick Negrete, *Assistant Dean of Students for Retention */(Co-Chair)/*//

*Beth Wiser, *Director of Admissions */(Co-Chair)/*

*Jeffrey Wakefield*, Asst. Director of University Communications

*Tim Wile, *Director of Guidance-South Burlington High School and UVM Alum

**

*Subcommittee on Community Engagement and Resources*

**

*Hendrika Maltby, *Professor of Nursing, College of Nursing and Health
Sciences */(Co-Chair)/*

*Joe Speidel, *Director of Community Relations */(Co-Chair)/*

*Gail Shampnois, *Director, Office of Student and Community Relations**

*Tim Bilodeau, *Deputy Chief, University of Vermont Police Services

*Alexis Doria, *Undergraduate Student and UVM/BPD Intern**

*Jill Diemer, *Diemer Properties, Local Landlord Liaison**

*Jay Lawson*, Burlington City Police Department

*Bill Ward, *Burlington Code Enforcement

*Local Bar Owner Representative*

**

*Subcommittee on Education and Programming*

*Patrick Brown, *Director of Student Life and the Davis Center
*/(Co-Chair)/*

*Jennifer Prue, *Senior Lecturer, College of Education and Social
Services and Chair of the Faculty Senate Student Affairs Committee
*/(Co-Chair)/*

*Britt Chase*, Director of the Office of Fellowships Advising

*Cathy Rahill*, Life Skills Coordinator, UVM Athletics

*Rafael Rodriguez, *Asst. Director, Residential Life

*Matt Vogel, *Director, UVM Hillel**

*Kelly Thorne*, Asst. Director for Prevention and Community-based
Services, Center for Health and Wellbeing

*Lauren Knopp, *Undergraduate Student

*Subcommittee on Research and Assessment*

**

*Patty Prelock, *Professor of Communications Sciences and Dean of the
College of Nursing and Health Sciences//

*Patience Whitworth, *Assistant Dean of Students for Assessment, Student
Learning, and Technology

*Bernice Garnett, *Assistant Professor of Education, College of
Education and Social Services

*George Leibowitz, *Associate Professor of Social Work, College of
Education and Social Services

*Philip Trabulsy, *Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics, College of Medicine

*Roger Kessler, *Research Assistant Professor, Department of Family
Medicine, College of Medicine

--
Tom Sullivan
President