[log in to unmask]" alt=""> Office of the President

April 29, 2014

From: Tom Sullivan, President

To: UVM Community

Re: President’s Committee on Alcohol and Drug Use

On February 10, 2014 in a message to the University Community, I expressed my growing concern about the very real threat to the health and success of our community resulting from the high-risk use of alcohol, marijuana and the misuse of prescription medications. As I continued my dialogue with faculty, staff, and most importantly with students this semester, my concern has only strengthened. I believe that we are at a critical juncture in the University’s trajectory, and that in order to realize our potential to become a truly great institution we must boldly and resolutely address this issue.

The health, safety, engagement, and success of our students are of paramount importance to our University. High-risk drinking and substance use among students is a national public health issue on college and university campuses. It is an issue that negatively impacts the health and wellbeing of our students both directly and indirectly. In line with the national experience, it has represented an intractable obstacle to student success and the quality of life of our community. With this in mind, it is critical that we engage this issue directly and effectively. We need to:

Assume a leadership role in naming the problem, address it systemically in realistic and incremental fashion, and resolve it.

Adopt a public health, systems-based approach to its solution, ensuring that our work is based on solid data, that our interventions are evidence-based whenever possible and that the communication about our successes and our failures is transparent.

Understand that this work will involve a reevaluation of current institutional systems that contribute to our current challenge.

Understand that this work is the concern, responsibility, and opportunity of all segments of the University Community.

As a follow up to my earlier communication, I am announcing the appointment of the President’s Committee on Alcohol and Drug Use. The Committee is a campus-wide task force of students, faculty, staff, parents, and alumni to begin to address these issues broadly and effectively. The Committee is charged with the following:

Understand the scope of the problem and its implications as they apply to the University of Vermont by reviewing and understanding relevant national and UVM data.

Become informed about promising initiatives designed to mitigate the impact of alcohol and substance use on our campus.

Evaluate our current campus structures, systems, policies and procedures in light of this information to identify barriers to reducing high-risk behavior as well as aspects of the University’s status quo that unintentionally promote this type of behavior.

Provide preliminary recommendations to me by September 30 2014, which will be shared broadly with the University community for comments and suggestions.

The Committee will be co-chaired by Annie Stevens, Vice Provost for Student Affairs, Jon Porter, MD, Director of the Center for Health and Wellbeing, and Harry Chen, MD, Commissioner of the Vermont Department of Health (UVM alum, parent of a UVM alum, and former member of the University of Vermont Board of Trustees). To advance the work of the Committee in addressing its charge, subcommittees chaired by members of the Committee, have been created to focus on specific topical areas. For a full list of the members of the Committee and subcommittees, please see below.

I want to express my sincere appreciation to the members of the President’s Committee and to those serving on a subcommittee for their commitment and dedication. I look forward to receiving the Committee’s recommendations and, more importantly, taking the steps to address the issues that impact the health and wellbeing of our students.

President’s Committee on Alcohol and Drug Use

Aya Al-Namee, Undergraduate Student and SGA President

Bruce Brown, Social Worker and Parent

Patrick Brown, Director of Student Life and the Davis Center

Joel Goldberg, Associate Professor of Biology, Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, and Parent

Hendrika Maltby, Professor of Nursing, College of Nursing and Health Sciences

Nick Negrete, Assistant Dean of Students for Retention

David Nestor, Dean of Students and Parent

Joseph Oteng, Undergraduate Student and member Phi Mu Delta

Patty Prelock, Professor of Communications Sciences and Dean of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences

Jennifer Prue, Senior Lecturer, College of Education and Social Services and Chair of the Faculty Senate Student Affairs Committee

Brian Reed, Associate Professor of Rehabilitation and Movement Science, College od Nursing and Health Sciences and Associate Provost for Teaching and Learning

Lisa Schnell, Associate Professor of English, College of Arts and Sciences and Associate Dean of the Honors College

Joe Speidel, Director of Community Relations

Patience Whitworth, Assistant Dean of Students for Assessment, Student Learning, and Technology

Beth Wiser, Director of Admissions

The following are the members of the Subcommittees:

Subcommittee on Academic Engagement

Brian Reed, Associate Professor of Rehabilitation and Movement Science, College of Nursing and Health Sciences and Associate Provost for Teaching and Leaning (Co-Chair)

Lisa Schnell, Associate Professor of English, College of Arts and Sciences and Associate Dean of the Honors College (Co-Chair)

Cindy Forehand, Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology, College of Medicine and Interim Dean of the Graduate College,

John Ryan, Director of the Office of Institutional Research

Erica Caloeiro, Director of Student Services, College of Nursing and Health Sciences

Dani Comey, Director of Orientation and Associate Director of Student Life

Andrew Bowen, Undergraduate Student and SGA Vice President

Subcommittee on Community Standards and Student Accountability

Joel Goldberg, Associate Professor of Biology, Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences (Co-Chair)

David Nestor, Dean of Students, Division of Student Affairs (Co-Chair)

Stacey Miller, Director of Residential Life

Lianne Tuomey, Chief of Police

Lacretia Flash, Asst. Dean of Students for Policy, Conduct and Climate

Kim Martin, Director, Center for Student Ethics and Standards

Johanna Brabham Custodial Services

Laurey Burris, Director, Student Success for the College of Medicine

Rob Drago, Graduate Student, Higher Education and Student Affairs

Cristian Burgio, Undergraduate student and Resident Assistant

Subcommittee on Communications

Nick Negrete, Assistant Dean of Students for Retention (Co-Chair)

Beth Wiser, Director of Admissions (Co-Chair)

Jeffrey Wakefield, Asst. Director of University Communications

Tim Wile, Director of Guidance-South Burlington High School and UVM Alum

Subcommittee on Community Engagement and Resources

Hendrika Maltby, Professor of Nursing, College of Nursing and Health Sciences (Co-Chair)

Joe Speidel, Director of Community Relations (Co-Chair)

Gail Shampnois, Director, Office of Student and Community Relations

Tim Bilodeau, Deputy Chief, University of Vermont Police Services

Alexis Doria, Undergraduate Student and UVM/BPD Intern

Jill Diemer, Diemer Properties, Local Landlord Liaison

Jay Lawson, Burlington City Police Department

Bill Ward, Burlington Code Enforcement

Local Bar Owner Representative

Subcommittee on Education and Programming

Patrick Brown, Director of Student Life and the Davis Center (Co-Chair)

Jennifer Prue, Senior Lecturer, College of Education and Social Services and Chair of the Faculty Senate Student Affairs Committee (Co-Chair)

Britt Chase, Director of the Office of Fellowships Advising

Cathy Rahill, Life Skills Coordinator, UVM Athletics

Rafael Rodriguez, Asst. Director, Residential Life

Matt Vogel, Director, UVM Hillel

Kelly Thorne, Asst. Director for Prevention and Community-based Services, Center for Health and Wellbeing

Lauren Knopp, Undergraduate Student

Subcommittee on Research and Assessment

Patty Prelock, Professor of Communications Sciences and Dean of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences

Patience Whitworth, Assistant Dean of Students for Assessment, Student Learning, and Technology

Bernice Garnett, Assistant Professor of Education, College of Education and Social Services

George Leibowitz, Associate Professor of Social Work, College of Education and Social Services

Philip Trabulsy, Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics, College of Medicine

Roger Kessler, Research Assistant Professor, Department of Family Medicine, College of Medicine

--
Tom Sullivan
President

(802) 656-7878 (office)