I think this is not quite right: you can hike up the highway and drop into the Slides. If you do so, you are asked to telephone Patrol first, to notify them. There is a sign to this effect on the highway. They can probably say no, at their discretion.

I have a rather gung-ho friend (name withheld) who tried to convince me that anyone has the right to drop into the Slides at any time, from the highway... he was probably full of tihs

On 4/2/2014 6:04 PM, James Dugan wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
If you are ever skiing at Whiteface and get off the summit lift you will see the big legal notice posted on the patrol shack explaining what's what.  They want to make it exceptionally clear because of the slides part of the center.  Basically what it says, as I understand it, is that if you hike up the highway and ski off the back, have a nice day and don't  get hurt, you are on your own.   OTOH, if you hike up the highway and ski down into the slides regardless of whether they are open or if you have a proper pass for that day, you are in violation of the law etc, etc.  You can go skiing anywhere on public land in the state but not  on the confines of the state ski area.
 For the past two weeks or so there have been literally tracks everywhere off the trails at Whiteface.  Normally nature takes care of people going off designated trails or glades but lately there has been some of the most snow and base all over the mountain that I have seen in a long time and people are not being shy about where they ski.  Today the best skiing on the mountain was the 10th Mt. / Cloudsplitter glades far and away.  They are hidden on a north face out of the sun at relatively high elevation and had fantastic loose packed soft powder.  When I came around On Ramp into the sunny side of Little Whiteface the High Country glades had lots of coverage but it was gooey sticky paste that wasn't fun at all.   Then I had to ski the entire lower slopes to get to the Gondola because that was the only lift running to the top of Little WF.  Today was very very good in some places and really sucked in others.  The mountain needs to go through daily temperature cycles to produce some fun corn out on the main slopes and one needs to be there at the right time of the day to take advantage of it.   Jimski
On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:54 PM, David Merfeld <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Eric,

Actually, now that I think of it, our challenge from patrol was at Belleayre.  One of the good things about that policy was that the woods were pristine.

David

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David Merfeld

From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Morton
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 5:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] be safe my friends

At least back in the late 90's, Belleayre's official policy was that no woods skiing was allowed at all. You could lose your pass or ticket if you were caught. They've since added some glades but I was always under the impression that this was (and still is) a policy of NYS owned ski areas, which Gore would also be one of.
18-105-1 says that skiers are not to ski in any area not designated for skiing.
So it probably all depends on the actual ski patroller who catches you...
Eric