Or perhaps this bird forgot to turn off his 'cruise control' returning
from sub-Sahara Africa, overshooting Greenland or the Canadian Arctic?
They seem capable of flying tremendous distances, as demonstrated by a
2012 study:  "...our results provide the first incontrovertible evidence
that a migratory songbird regularly travels between Arctic regions of
the Western Hemisphere and Africa. Scaled for body size, this is the one
of the longest round-trip migratory journeys of any bird in the world
and raises questions about how a bird of this size is able to
successfully undertake such physically demanding journeys twice each
year, particularly for inexperienced juveniles migrating on their own."

Some Upper Valley scientists (and others) have reported seeing them
flying /over/ the Greenland Ice Cap (3,000+ m elevation) during Spring
migration, one of only a few species observed to do so.

Whatever this WRJ bird's story, one can't help but feel humbled - even
honored - by his presence here!

Bairlein, F. and others, 2012. Cross-hemisphere migration of a 25 g
songbird. Biol. Lett. 8, 505--507. doi:10.1098/rsbl.2011.1223

Doug Hardy, Norwich