Hi Kathy and Vt bird list,
I hear loons quite frequently when they are flying between larger bodies of water.  I live in Stowe and the closest bodies of water where loons are found are the Waterbury Reservoir in Waterbury Center, and Green River Reservoir in Hyde Park.  It surprised me at first until I figured out what was going on.  Sometimes you can see them high in the sky.  Maybe this is what happened when you were out gardening.

Liz Lackey