The bird that's been singing from the top of a Jericho Center spruce since May 11 (possibly before) is a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. It's uncommon for them to breed in this area, so it was exciting to watch the bird for several minutes yesterday and fifteen minutes or so today.

I have always thought of Red-eyed Vireos as the poster bird for Hyper, or maybe a Catbird on breeding territory, but this kinglet makes both of those other species look like slackers. It sings literally every other second from 5:30AM until 7:00PM, sometimes repeating the same song over and over as many as six times in a row.

I can't see a nest, but the bird dives into the same clump of foliage (hidden behind cones) over and over. I saw two kinglets at the same time this morning, briefly.

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center