A great haul along the Ti Haul trail today!

Hello Vt Birders,

5:30 this morning, before our assigned duties and appointments for the day, three Madbirders (Pat Folsom & Scott Sainsbury & I) walked most of the Ti Haul trail to see who  might show up.   It was cool and cloudy, with a slight breeze, but the birds were steady and the final tally gratifying!

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Common Merganser
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Wilson's Snipe
American Woodcock
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Willow Flycatcher
Least Flycatcher
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Blue-headed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
House Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Veery
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Black-and-white Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
American Redstart
Northern Parula
Magnolia Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Pine Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Bobolink
Red-winged Blackbird
Baltimore Oriole
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Nearly 3 hours, 63 species (and 16 warblers later), we chose to move on after a quick snack at Harrington’s.  And it appeared we weren’t the only ones getting something to eat on the fly.  As I stepped out of the car, I heard the dramatic call from a Merlin passing overhead.  He perched in a large willow tree situated between the covered bridge and mill (Shelburne Museum) and continued to announce his arrival.  Meanwhile, my friends came out of Harrington’s to see what was delaying me and by then the scope revealed more to the story.  A female flew in beside her mate, which had a Catbird clutched in his talon and pinned to the tree limb.  He fed her a few morsels before she took over and little tufts of gray feathers, nearly invisible, aimlessly floated through the air and were gone in the wind.  I couldn’t help but feel a little compassion for that Catbird, traveling all this way just to be eaten!

Ali
Huntington